In November of 2009, while serving as a Lay Missioner in the desert of Mexico, I was bucked off a horse. My left knee twisted and popped. I faced a surgery in Mexico, but it never was quite right. Finally, back in the USA and with Medical Insurance, I am now facing a second surgery, and in the hopes that someone out there facing a similar operation may find this helpefull, this blog is entirely a summary of my knee and my journey...

Thursday, March 17, 2011

15 Days post op

Things are getting a little easier, but my god, it still hurts.  Last night, I just couldn't sleep with that stupid brace, so like a damn idiot i took it off.  I slept better, but in the morning my knee was hugely swolen. 
Exercises are getting easier.  The little things we take for granted when it comes to muscle memory.  My quad is just gone.  Apparently, after my first surgery, I never rebuilt the quad correctly, so I have been using the wrong muscles to walk, which would explain my back pain over this last year.
In physical therapy I am frustrated.  I feel like I can do more than what is asked of me, and like a true athlete, I push it every day.  The therapist is telling me to slow down, because the graft in my knee is barely hanging in there.  So I have forced myself to stop trying new things, and have tried to use both crutches like they say I should.
My staples have been out for a while, and the scabs are almost gone too, but I am still not allowed to take a bath or sit in the hot tub.  This is highly inconvenient because it has been super cold lately.  Oh well, at least I can bend my knee to 90 with no pain.  And i can straighten it too.

No comments:

Post a Comment