In November of 2009, while serving as a Lay Missioner in the desert of Mexico, I was bucked off a horse. My left knee twisted and popped. I faced a surgery in Mexico, but it never was quite right. Finally, back in the USA and with Medical Insurance, I am now facing a second surgery, and in the hopes that someone out there facing a similar operation may find this helpefull, this blog is entirely a summary of my knee and my journey...

Thursday, March 10, 2011

9 days post op!

I got my staples out yesterday, which honestly hurt like heck.  Stupid stapels.  The day before, I had my first PT appointment.  I got some new exercises with a big ball and some tubing.  Luckily, In one week, I only lost one inch due to atrophy in my quad, and my calf looks healthy.  The swelling is already way down, and I can see my knee cap.  Bruising is also going away.  Today I got the ok to take a real shower, and I even drove myself to work in my mom's automatic tacoma! 
At night, I still have to take the heavy drugs because if I don't, I teak my knee and the pain wakes me up.  I am still using two crutches, but around the house can get by with just one and the brace.  I can now also unlock the brack to sit more comfortable, as long as I can still extend my knee all the way.  (If that becomes hard, I'll have to go back to locking the brace.
6 weeks is the "woods" as they say.  Im not out of the woods yet, 5 more weeks to go.  And then I'll be safe to walk, but not to ride or run.  It is so hard to just sit around and get fat! 
Pain scale is pretty low, unless you count the weird popping my rear right hamstring makes at night.  Excruciating.  Or when the bone hurts.  Feels like a growning pain I used to get when I was little.  Fits of throbbing bone pain all the way to the bottom of my shin bone, and all the way up to my pelvis.  Damn those hurt.  But other than that, 9 days post op is pretty comfortable.  I can't believe i can already bend 90 degrees!
After my first operation, 9 days post op was still hell on crutches!  So I feel pretty good about the whole thing.  Please God, keep my graft safe so I never have to do this again!

No comments:

Post a Comment