In November of 2009, while serving as a Lay Missioner in the desert of Mexico, I was bucked off a horse. My left knee twisted and popped. I faced a surgery in Mexico, but it never was quite right. Finally, back in the USA and with Medical Insurance, I am now facing a second surgery, and in the hopes that someone out there facing a similar operation may find this helpefull, this blog is entirely a summary of my knee and my journey...

Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Day One Post Op

I got up early yesterday and did my usual barn chorse.  My mom and I got to the surgery center right at 8 o'clock.  I was so nervous I could barely stand it until... I saw someone I knew!  A wonderful woman from the barn where I ride Monday nights was there!  I immediately felt better having seen her.  Once in the pre-op center I changed and got ready to see the anesthesiologist.  Everyone was so nice!  But come time for my IV I got really tense.  I pass out with needles, so I was really nervous!  The nurse told me it wouldn't be that bad.  She priked me with a tiny little needle with some numbing stuff in it, and honestly, I didn't feel a thing! 

Once they took me back to the operating room, I laid down on the table.  I was joking with everyone about how the operating table looked like one of those things they strap guys down onto in death row, and made them promise not to kill me!  haha

They gave me something that made the lights go wiggy and the next thing I new, someone was holding hot chocolate in front of me helping me drink it.  And let me tell you, it tasted GOOD!
Things were slipping in and out of conciousness, and before long I was getting dressed by someone, and then I was shaking and trying to use a walker to get into a wheel chair.  The pain was non-existent, thank God.  I remember getting into the car, and then something about the Walgreens pharmacy and mom begging with them to give me my perscription in 1/2 an hour, not 2 hours.  They did. 

Once home, I went to bed and fell asleep.  A few hours later I moved from my bed to the couch, promptly threw up, fell back asleep and slept til dad got home.  All in all, a pretty painless day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment